Saturday, June 13, 2009

New Rules

ET is 6. He finished Kindergarten and will be in 1st grade in the Fall. I don't know how much freedom to give him. So basically, I looked to the other kids that graduated kindergarten with him and decided what I could live with. Basically his rules were: I had to know where he was, he had to come home and check in every hour, and don't ride your bike in the street. Turns out, it was way too much freedom, and too many broken rules. This resulted in him throwing fits everytime I told him it was time to come home or took anything away from him because he broke the rules. Yesterday's fit was a doozy and I decided I'd had enough. So I had a long talk with him and told him to sit down and write out some rules that he though were fair, and his dad and I would sit down with him today to decide on our new rules.

This is what he came up with:

1. No riding bikes in the road—stay on the sidewalk.
2. Only cross the road after checking for cars.
3. Don’t play in the road
4. Don’t listen to kids who aren’t following the rules.
5. Don’t freak out.
6. Don’t go to friends houses alone.
7. Don’t go inside anyone’s house without asking first.
8. Don’t cross the road without a grown up.
The cars can kill you.
9. stay out of the road even when you look both ways
10. Do you like to get killed
13 I need a new bike.
14 Do you like to die?
15 No I do not like to die.
16 I knew it.
17super man can save us

(Seriously--just copied and pasted.)

If only I could get superman to be his bodyguard, we'd be fine!

2 comments:

Shaunee said...

That is so cute! The mind of a 6 year old!

Spencer said...

That's what you get for letting the 6 year old make the rules. Now you have to get him a new bike!